Saturday, July 11, 2009

Stealth mission

Alright so to back track to about 10pm last night. A good friend of mine called me up and said that a bunch of people were going swimming at the cove. Yeah you heard right swimming La Jolla Cove at 10pm. How could I resist I had just been there 4 hours earlier to do the cove to pier and back, why not?!? Even though my enormous dinner and 3 glasses of wine had me feeling pretty content, it was time to buck up.

There were 150 people with all sorts of glow-attire being donned. I went over to the sign-up table and threw on the speedo for good measure (if Im gonna die by shark attack I wanna be the hottest dead guy they pull out of the cove). I met my crew and we headed down to the water to get it on. The plan was swim to the 1/4 mile bouy where a kayak with big lights was waiting to help everyone sight. The few first strokes were interesting, its actually quite surprising how much you can see under water at night. One thing that you cant avoid is running into the seaweed patches which feel like quicksand when you dont have a wetsuit, but I got thru the first couple and got out to the 1/4 mile bouy. Swimming back was a breeze and I even got a little over zealous and started racing a few people in the dark, pretty awesome. When I got back to the shore I definately let out a sigh of relief. A few people I went with started coming out of the water and we all high fived and headed up to dry off.

In typical La Jolla form we headed over to Joses for some beer, chips, salsa and guac! Perfect way to start the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment